New Strategic Plan
On October 8, 2008, the board of directors of Sisters in Crime met to take stock of our organization. After studying our history, listening to our membership, and talking with experts in various aspects of publishing, we determined it was time to revamp and streamline our mission statement and to chart a revised course into the rapidly changing publishing world.
The result? You’ll find our new direction below...
The board feels revitalized about where we are going.
- We believe our members will be, too.
- We trust that the members who have drifted away will return.
- We anticipate that many new volunteers will step forward to help us on our journey.
- We look forward to partnering with the publishing industry in new ventures.
- The future is going to be exciting for Sisters in Crime!
Revised Mission Statement
The mission of Sisters in Crime is to promote the professional development and advancement of women crime writers to achieve equality in the industry.
Raising professionalism and achieving equity among crime writers.
SinC into a Good Mystery!
I. Advocacy, Monitoring and Reporting
- Expand Monitoring Project to review print and on-line book reviews, bookstore displays and staff recommendations, placement in publisher catalogs, awards and recognitions, and conference invitations.
- Publicly report Monitoring Project results to improve awareness of gender equity in the industry.
- Continue the new Annual Publishers Summit where key board members meet with top industry representatives to share information and increase awareness of Sisters in Crime.
- Continue our author representation with our strategic presence at allied industry conferences and contacts with industry professionals.
- Develop comprehensive national trade press and media relations contacts for distribution of SinC information.
II. Professional Education and Career Development
- Offer seminars at national conferences for published and unpublished writers.
- Develop and offer publications on writing and publishing.
- Continue to offer InSinC Newsletter to members and key industry players, with current market and industry information, mentoring, and networking articles.
- Expand use of technology to deliver industry information through such forums as SinC-Links, Mentor Mondays, and website resources.
- Expand speaker offerings and ideas for chapter programs on SinC’s focus on professionalism and equity.
III. Membership Growth, Networking and Forums for Members
- Continue to host national SinC meetings at affiliated conferences to encourage networking among members and other industry professionals.
- Encourage and develop leadership among members in chapters and on committees.
- Continue as the only national mystery association that offers full membership to readers, writers, and industry professionals—in short, to all who enjoy mysteries.
- Prepare to celebrate our 25th anniversary.
- Offer members a range of programs and benefits, including:
- New on-line book catalog (in development)
- Publishers Summit with the latest in industry information
- Bookstore contact list (to be updated)
- Bookclub database
- Membership directory
- Mailing lists and labels (for sale to members)
- On-line curricula and special conference programming with special member discounts
- Networking with readers, published and unpublished writers, and industry insiders
- Optional chapter membership (depending on locale)
Did you know...
SinC was founded in 1986 and is now 3600 members strong in 48 chapters world-wide, offering networking, advice and support to mystery authors.
Did you know...
We are authors, readers, publishers, agents, booksellers and librarians bound by our passion for the mystery genre and our support of women who write mysteries.